#1 fund for weathering market ups and downs3
SuperRatings' Pension of the Year three years in a row4
Enjoy flexible income and tax-free investment earnings
Retirement Income account is an account-based pension
that turns your super into income payments and offers several tax benefits. With the ability to make
withdrawals when you need to, it gives you the flexibility and confidence to enjoy the life you want after
work. Check the eligibility conditions below.
Enjoy life after work
Turn your super into an income stream, with the flexibility to make withdrawals when you need to.
Control how much and how often you are paid in Member Online.
As your money stays invested, your savings can keep growing, and you benefit from tax-free investment
earnings. And there's no tax on payments or withdrawals after you turn 60.
We’re profit for members, not shareholders – so we aim to keep fees low. In fact, our fees are among
the lowest in Australia.1
The default investment option for our Retirement Income account has produced strong returns over the
last 10 years.
This result is driven by a unique investment approach that aims to provide strong returns with less
10-year annual return - Balanced option2
As at 30 June 2021
Our Retirement Income account has won a number of awards, including SuperRatings Pension of the Year 20214 and Chant West's Pension Fund of the Year 2020.5
Use our calculators to get a comprehensive view of your retirement income, including
the Age Pension.
Explore how a combination of different products may work for you over the course of your retirement.
Find out how much money you'll need in retirement, and how much you're on track to receive.
You may be eligible for a retirement bonus when you open a
Retirement Income account or Lifetime Pension. Log in to Member Online to see your
It takes less than 10 minutes to sign up for an award-winning Retirement Income account through Member Online.
Learn the benefits of turning your super into a retirement income stream with regular payments, one-off
withdrawals, and potential tax savings.
You can open a Retirement Income account if you meet at least one of the following conditions:
You will also need to have a super balance of at least $30,000 and be a QSuper member.
If you're not already a member, it's easy to join online. Find out why more than 50,000 Australians have retired with QSuper.
For more details, see the product disclosure statement (PDS).
There is a limit on the total amount of superannuation you can transfer to a Retirement Income account without paying additional tax. This is known as the transfer balance cap.
For the 2021-22 financial year, the transfer balance cap is set at $1.7 million.
This cap will be indexed, and increases will be in increments of $100,000. The amount of indexation that you will be entitled to will depend on how much of your transfer balance cap you have used. If you meet or exceed your transfer balance cap, you will not be entitled to indexation.
If you have a number of income streams or pension accounts (not including Transition to Retirement Income accounts), either at QSuper or across multiple super funds, you need to be aware that your combined account balances will all count towards this limit. Special rules apply for lifetime pensions. Visit the Australian Taxation Office's website for more about the transfer balance cap.
If you go over the transfer balance cap, the ATO will let you know that you need to remove the excess amount, plus any associated investment earnings, from your Retirement Income account. They will also apply tax on those earnings. For a first breach, you will be subject to 15% tax, with subsequent breaches subject to 30% tax.
You will not be considered as having gone over the cap if your Retirement Income account balance grows to more than $1.7 million due to investment earnings.
If you're concerned that this limit might impact your retirement plans, you should seek financial advice.
For more details about our Retirement Income account, including how it works together with our Lifetime Pension, see the product disclosure statement (PDS).
Keep track of your super and get the latest information at your fingertips, with
Our Lifetime Pension is designed to work alongside our Retirement Income account, for a complete retirement solution with the financial security of an income for life.
Use our retirement planning calculators to compare the income you could receive from a
combination of Lifetime Pension and a Retirement Income account, or learn more about Lifetime Pension.
Ask us to call you back to discuss our options for making the most of your super.
Professional advice can help you decide whether you'd benefit from our Retirement Income account and/or Lifetime Pension.
Joining an exclusive member seminar/webinar can help you make your super last and enjoy retirement more.
Around 10 minutes to apply online and you can start enjoying your retirement more, with our award-winning account-based pension.
1. Chant West Super Fund Fee Survey, December 2020. The Chant West data is based on information provided by third parties that is believed to be accurate. Chant West does not issue, sell, guarantee, or underwrite this product. The findings are based on account balances of $25,000 and $50,000. Only administration and investment fees and costs are covered. Fees are gross of income tax. Go to chantwest.com.au for further information about the methodology used and Chant West’s Financial Services Guide. For the QSuper Investment options: Lifetime option Focus 1, Aggressive, Balanced, and Moderate.
2. Past performance may not be a reliable indicator of future performance. QSuper’s Retirement Income account, Balanced option only. The return is a compound annualised return reflected after administration fees, investment fees and tax. Disclosed/reported investment returns reflect the returns of the fund and not member returns of the investment options as they do not take into account the timing of contributions, investment switches or withdrawals.
3. Based on recipients of Pension Fund awards from SuperRatings, Chant West, and Connexus between 2015 and 2021. These awards are solely statements of opinion and do not represent a recommendation to purchase, hold, or sell any securities, or make any other investment decisions. Ratings are subject to change. Ratings, awards, or investment returns are only one factor that you should consider when deciding how to invest your super. Past performance may not be a reliable indicator of future performance. The rating is issued by SuperRatings Pty Ltd ABN 95 100 192 283 AFSL 311880 (SuperRatings). Ratings are general advice only and have been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider your personal circumstances, read the product disclosure statement and seek independent financial advice before investing. The rating is not a recommendation to purchase, sell or hold any product. Past performance information is not indicative of future performance. Ratings are subject to change without notice and SuperRatings assumes no obligation to update. SuperRatings uses objective criteria and receives a fee for publishing awards. Visit superratings.com.au for ratings information and to access the full report. © 2021 SuperRatings. All rights reserved.
4. The rating is issued by SuperRatings Pty Ltd ABN 95 100 192 283 AFSL 311880 (SuperRatings). Ratings are general advice only and have been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider your personal circumstances, read the product disclosure statement and seek independent financial advice before investing. The rating is not a recommendation to purchase, sell or hold any product. Past performance information is not indicative of future performance. Ratings are subject to change without notice and SuperRatings assumes no obligation to update. SuperRatings uses objective criteria and receives a fee for publishing awards. Visit superratings.com.au for ratings information and to access the full report. © 2021 SuperRatings. All rights reserved.
5. The Chant West ratings logo is a trademark of Chant West Pty Limited and used under licence. It is only current at the date awarded by Chant West. The rating and associated material is only intended for use by Australian residents within the jurisdiction of Australia and is not permitted to be considered or used by a party outside of Australia. Chant West does not issue, sell, guarantee, or underwrite this product. For further information about the methodology used by Chant West, see chantwest.com.au. Chant West has given and has not withdrawn its written consent to the inclusion on this website of the references to Chant West and the inclusion of the ratings logo or rating in the form and context in which they are included. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. Awards and ratings are only one factor when deciding how to invest your super.
6. Permanently retired means you do not intend to ever work 10 hours or more per week in the future. This doesn't mean you could not return to part-time or full-time work if your circumstances change in the future.