Identity theft is one of the biggest risks for keeping your money safe. And your protection is our top priority. To be sure it's really you who's asking for your super or making a claim, we need certain information and documents about your identity (ID).

 Ways to prove your identity

All super funds will ask you to prove your identity before paying any money out. We have 2 ways for you to do this.

computer icon


This is the easiest way. Just add in your driver's licence or passport details on the form you're filling out or where asked to in Member Online. We’ll use it to confirm your identity electronically.

See where to find your driver's licence card number.

If you don't have a driver's licence or passport, you’ll need to go with our second way of proving your identity.

Living overseas?

If so, you'll need to send us a certified copy of your documents.

document icon

Certified documents

If the electronic option doesn't work for you, get your ID certified and send us the copies.

Valid forms of ID

Email, post or fax us a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Current Australian driver's licence
  • Current Photo identification card or Proof of Age card issued by an Australian state or territory
  • Current passport (Australian passports can have expired in the last 2 years).

Other documents you can use

If you don't have any of the above identity documents, you can give us one document from each of the lists below.

One document from here

  • Birth certificate or birth extract
  • Citizenship certificate from the Australian Government
  • Pension card from Services Australia (Centrelink) that allows you to get financial benefits

And one from here

  • Notice from Services Australia showing a financial benefit has been given to you (sent within the last 12 months)
  • Australian Taxation Office (ATO) notice of assessment (sent within the last 12 months)
  • Local council rates notice (sent within the last 3 months)
  • Electricity or gas notice (sent within the last 3 months)
Make sure your current name and address are on the notice.

interface_download Download our Proving Your Identity factsheet (pdf) for more details.


Need help to prove your identity?

If you're having issues proving your identity, there may be another way. Like getting a statement from a community elder. Contact us to talk about your options.

How to certify documents

Get copies of your ID documents. Then take them, along with the originals, to someone who's allowed to certify documents. You can usually do this at a police station or courthouse.

  • Justice of the Peace, or Commissioner for Declarations
  • Police officer
  • Judge or magistrate of a court
  • Registrar or deputy registrar of a court
  • Legal practitioner
  • Pharmacist
  • Medical practitioner (includes GP, surgeon, specialists)
  • Notary public
  • Chief executive officer of a Commonwealth court
  • Australian consular officer or Australian diplomatic officer
  • Australia Post employee (who's permanent with at least 2 years of constant employment)
  • Bank or other financial institution officer (with 2 or more years of constant service with financial institutions)
  • Accountant (with 2 or more years of constant membership with either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants or the National Institute of Accountants)

  • Australian consular officer
  • Australian diplomatic officer
  • Judge
  • Notary public
  • Court registrar
  • Justice of the Peace

Are your documents in a language other than English? We'll need an English translation by an accredited translator.

FAQs about proof of identity

A certified copy is a copy of your document that's been verified by a person who's authorised to do so.

They must see both the original and the copy (front and back if needed) to make sure they're identical. Then they write or stamp ‘certified true copy’ on all pages.

They also need to sign and print their name on the document, and note their qualification (e.g. Justice of the Peace) and the date.

Your card number is different to your licence number. Below are examples of where you can find it.

Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

ACT Drivers Licence

New South Wales (NSW)

New South Wales Drivers Licence

Northern Territory (NT)

Northern Territory Drivers Licence Dec 20 Onwards Northern Territory Drivers Licence Prior Dec 20


Queensland Front Drivers Licence Queensland Back Drivers Licence

South Australia (SA)

South Australia Drivers Licence


Victoria Drivers Licence


Tasmania Drivers Licence

Western Australia (WA)

Western Australia Drivers Licence

All super funds will ask you for certified identification before paying any money out. We have to by law.

We also need you to prove your identity before we make significant changes to your account. Some of the common times this happens are:

  • Making a withdrawal
  • Opening an Income account
  • Starting a Lifetime Pension
  • Transferring to a self-managed super fund or a KiwiSaver account
  • Making a claim as a beneficiary of another member’s account.

Make sure you check that your document has been certified the right way. The authorised person should:

  • Write or stamp ‘certified as a true copy of the original’
  • Sign the document
  • Write their name and qualification
  • Add their stamp and registration number (if relevant) and/or their company/employer name.

All copied pages need to be certified.

If your ID doesn’t match the name on your account, we’ll need some extra proof. You'll need to give us a certified copy of your ID in your current name, and a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Marriage certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
  • Change of name certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
  • Deed poll.

If you're signing a form for one of our members, you'll need to give us a certified copy of:

  • Guardianship papers or Power of Attorney
  • The member’s identification document/s
  • Your identity documents.

We want to help you connect with your super. And we understand it can be harder to prove your identity when you're living in a remote area.

If you don't have the ID you need, you may be able to do it another way. Like getting a community elder to write a statement.

Contact us to talk about your options.

If you need help with proving your identity, or you're concerned about the security of your identity, contact us.

We can talk you through your options.

Computer lock icon

Stay safe online

Protect yourself from identity theft

Find out how

Helping you retire well with confidence

We’re part of Australian Retirement Trust, one of Australia’s largest super funds. Find out how we're helping our members feel secure for their retirement.

Learn more