Divorce or separation is likely to affect your finances, and it's important to understand what happens with your super when dividing up your assets, as this will depend on your personal circumstances.

What happens to your super

Do you have to split superannuation in a divorce?

You don't always have to split your super in a divorce or separation, unless the court orders it – but if one of you has more super than the other, it's something to consider and this will depend on your personal circumstances.

The same rules apply to de facto couples after separation.

We recommend getting legal advice before making these decisions, because a lawyer can advise you about your rights, the advantages and disadvantages, and how the law applies to your situation. You may wish to check MoneySmart.gov.au's list of free legal services.

MoneySmart.gov.au also has a useful divorce and separation financial checklist you can use as a guide during this process.

How is super split?

Superannuation can be split by entering into a financial agreement or by obtaining a court order.

If you agree with your partner on how your super will be divided, you can either:

  • Apply for a court order formalising your agreement, or
  • Instruct a lawyer to prepare a binding financial agreement.

If you can’t agree on how your super will be divided, you can ask the courts to decide.

What do I need for QSuper accounts?

The process for splitting super if you or your or former partner has a QSuper account usually involves three steps.

Get a valuation: Find out how much you and your former partner have in super, using our Family Law Declaration and Request for Information form (pdf) or the Family Court of Australia Superannuation Information Kit form for another super fund.

Prepare your property settlement: Consider getting legal advice when preparing a property settlement (your agreement or court order about dividing up your assets and debts).

Send the settlement: Send a certified copy of your financial agreement or a copy of your court order to the super fund/s, together with a Non-Member Spouse Information Collection form (pdf) if it's a QSuper account.

Documents for QSuper accounts can be sent to:

mail icon
Post: QSuper Member Services, GPO Box 200, Brisbane QLD 4001.
person icon
In person: Visit one of our Member Centres.

How much does a super split cost?

We don't charge fees for information about QSuper accounts or paying a super split. However, some super funds do charge fees, so it's worth asking them so that you can budget for it.

What if my former partner has an SMSF?

If your former partner is with a self-managed super fund (SMSF), the steps to split their super may be more complicated so it's best to seek legal advice.

Superannuation after separation

Once you've separated and you've decided whether or not to split your super, there are some other things you may want to consider regarding your super.

Changing your name

You don't have to change your surname after divorce or separation, but if you do want to, here's how to let us know your new name.

If you currently work for the Queensland Government, please change your name by letting your payroll office know about your change of details, and they will let us know.

If you work for another employer and want to change your name after divorce or separation, please send us:

  • Your request in writing, listing your name, date of birth, and address, and
  • A certified copy of your change of name certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.

If you're having difficulty getting your official change of name certificate, please contact us to discuss your options.

Advice for the future

After having separated, you may want to:

  • Seek financial advice about whether you need to make extra contributions to reach your retirement goals, or about how to invest any super you've received.
  • Try our calculators, such as our Salary Sacrifice Calculator and Super Projection Calculator.
  • Register for our seminars about saving tax with super, preparing for retirement, and more.

These options may be useful if you have less super now due to a split, or if you were previously expecting to benefit from some of your spouse's super when you retired together.

Find out more about rebuilding your finances after divorce.

Other changes to make to your account after separating

New contact details

To change your address and password, visit Member Online or contact us.

Your beneficiaries

Update who will receive your super when you die (your beneficiaries) in Member Online.

Insurance cover

Your insurance needs may increase or decrease after you separate, so you can try our Insurance Needs Calculator or seek financial advice.

Authorities and power of attorney

You can withdraw your former partner's authority to access information about your super accounts by writing to us, and consider changing your enduring power of attorney (EPOA) if you have one.

Connect with a financial adviser

Prepare for your retirement after divorce or separation with advice about your QSuper account - it's included in your membership.