People move on for all kinds of reasons – redundancy, retirement, resignation, retrenchment or dismissal. Here’s what you need to do when an employee leaves:

Complete the employer certification section

If your employee has a Defined Benefit account, State account, or Police account, you’ll need to fill out the employer certification section of the relevant claim form.

Update your contribution payment file

After you’ve made your final super payment, record the details of the employee who’s leaving on your contribution payment file, including a leaver code that shows the actual termination date.

Keep your employee informed

Let them know they can visit the member section of our website or call us on 1300 360 750 to find out how to stay with QSuper, even if they’re not working for the Queensland Government. And, if they’re a Defined Benefit member moving to another Queensland Government employer, ask them to let their new employer know that they have a Defined Benefit account that they want to continue with.

If your employee has any accrued leave entitlements they haven’t taken, these can only be paid into super as an after-tax contribution. In other words, they can’t be salary sacrificed.

If your staff member’s dismissal has criminal implications, please let us know as soon as possible.

Some useful answers

Can your employee leave their benefit with us when they retire?

Absolutely. If they get in touch directly, we’ll be happy to explain all the available options.

Can employees who are leaving get financial advice?

Provided they’re members of QSuper, QInvest1 can help them with a range of issues, including superannuation and retirement planning.

Can cashed out leave be paid as a voluntary contribution?

Yes, as long as the contribution is deducted from your employee's last pay and remitted in the last return where your employee was a current member, it can be made through the contributions payment file. Just remember the contribution can’t be salary sacrificed. If the entitlement is paid to the employee outside their last pay cycle, they can still make a voluntary member contribution to their QSuper account by cheque, money order or BPAY®.

1. QInvest Limited (ABN 35 063 511 580, AFSL and Australian Credit Licence number 238274) is ultimately owned by the QSuper Board (ABN 32 125 059 006) as trustee for the QSuper Fund (ABN 60 905 115 063). It’s a separate legal entity, responsible for the financial services and credit services it provides.

® Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518