Income protection insurance may provide your employees with an income if they aren’t able to work for a period of time due to illness or injury. It’s available to all employees, including those that are employed on a casual basis. You’ll find an overview of the role you play as an employer in the claims process in our handy factsheet.

If one of your employees wants to make a superannuation income protection claim, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:

  1. Make sure your employee has superannuation income protection insurance with QSuper
  2. Complete part B of the Income Protection Benefit Claim form 
    You’ll find it in the Income Protection Benefit Guide – someone in your personnel or pay office can complete it. If your employee's circumstances change for any reason, you’ll need to email us at, or phone your employee's Claims Manager.
  3. Ask your employee to complete the income protection benefit forms
    You’ll find them in the Income Protection Benefit Guide.
  4. Give your employee a TFN declaration
    They’ll need to include this with any other claim documentation they’re sending to us.

Some useful answers Show all Hide all

They can only receive an income protection benefit from a single source at any one time. They can lodge a claim with both us and WorkCover so they continue receiving an income. However, if their WorkCover claim is successful, they’ll need to pay back any income protection benefits to us.

There’s a declaration and authorisation included in Part A of the Income protection benefit claim form stating they’ll reimburse us for any income protection benefits paid if their WorkCover claim is successful. This form is in the back of the Income Protection Benefit Guide.


QSuper income protection

WorkCover payment

Waiting period/leave requirements

Waiting period varies depending on your employee’s cover. They can log in to Member Online to view their insurance details.

Special leave without pay

Rate of benefit payment

87.75% of insured salary (includes a CRB1 of 12.75% of insured salary) for employees with salary based cover. Employees with unitised cover will be paid according to the number of units of cover they hold (up to 87.75 percent of their income) – this benefit also includes a CRB1 payment.

100% award rate under industrial instrument, or 85% of normal weekly earnings for 26 weeks

Employee contributions

Maintained by QSuper

Optional for employee

Employer contributions

Maintained by QSuper

Depends on employee's choice to contribute

Retirement benefit growth

Continues as if employee was working and contributing

Depends on whether member chooses to contribute

Graduated return

Subject to employer advising of suitable position and duties – QSuper pays 87.75% of salary difference. This includes a CRB1 of 12.75% of insured salary (or income if the employee holds unitised cover).

26 weeks to 2 years:

  • the greater of 65% of normal weekly earnings, or
  • 60% of Queensland ordinary times earnings (QOTE)

From two to five years, where a worker demonstrates the injury results in work-related impairment of more than 15%, payment is the greater of:

  • 65% of normal weekly earnings, or
  • 60% of QOTE

Otherwise, an amount equal to the single pension rate

1. Contribution replacement benefit – a payment made to your employee’s QSuper Accumulation account while they are receiving an income protection benefit.

The above table of WorkCover benefits is for reference only. We recommend you confirm these details with WorkCover.

Yes, absolutely. Some employees claim WorkCover benefits until their payment starts to reduce. Then, they cancel further WorkCover payments and claim the QSuper superannuation income protection benefit. That way they’ll continue receiving 87.75% of their insured salary (or their nominated payment level if they have unitised cover).

Before this can happen, the employee needs to have completed their relevant waiting period.

The employer must:

  • approve the extended leave
  • determine the account type (such as Defined Benefit account, Accumulation account or State account)
  • complete Part B of the Income protection benefit claim form (PDF), detach it from Part A, and forward it to us. This form is in the back of the Income Protection Benefit Guide.