If you’d like to claim super on compassionate grounds, you’ll need to contact the Australian Government Department of Human Services (DHS), to process your request.
For DHS to agree to release your funds, you’ll need to prove you’re financially unable to meet the expenses associated with one or more of the following:
- Medical treatment or medical transport costs for you or a dependant, where the condition is life-threatening, or causes chronic pain or chronic mental illness.
- If you’ve had to modify your principal place of residence or vehicle to accommodate the special needs of you, or a dependant, arising from a severe disability.
- Paying for expenses for your or a dependant's palliative care, in the case of impending death.
- Costs associated with a dependant's death, funeral, or burial.
- Loan repayments to prevent the potential loss of your home.
- Meeting other related expenses, associated with the grounds mentioned above.